Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 20, 2012

Broke Down Cadillac/Hooters Girls and Lone Wolf Comics

After getting back to Basra from the last comedy show tour, I got back in time to tag along with Romel on the last day of the Buffalo Jill’s (Buffalo Bills Cheerleaders) tour. Their last stop was Umm Qasr which is an installation different from all the rest. It is on the port that borders Kuwait. It is mostly Marines, British troops and the Iraqi Navy. We got to tour the Iraqi Navy ships and some other cool things. See the pictures below.
That following week I had a few days to prepare for a long tour up at Delta. The tours would be back to back. The first being a country rock band called “Broke Down Cadillac”. They usually come once a year and they bring four hooters girls with them, always a nice addition. The second tour would be another comedy tour. More on the comedy tour later.
The band and the Hooters girls only came in for a one day show. They flew out of country the next morning. However before they came arrived to me, a few days prior there was a Soldier casualty in which there were thoughts of cancelling the show in general. To me I could not disagree more. The morale was extremely low following that terrible day and if a group of troops were ever in need of a serious morale boost, it was now. Fortunately the commander decided to keep the show on.
There were a lot of things we had to deal with when the band and girls arrived. The weather was terrible. It was frigid cold, windy and pouring rain with thunderstorms. That went on for two days. Fortunately the weather cleared for a few hours, just long enough to get the girls to ride some tanks, do a few re-enlistment ceremonies, visit the medi-vac Soldiers, an office call that consisted of a Video Tele-Conference to another small installation that were not lucky enough to get on a convoy to make it to the show. The band and the Hooters girls were even able to spend some time with the platoon of the fallen Soldier.
Since the weather was so iffy, we decided to host the show inside their movie theater; Great spacious venue, however terrible for sound. After a few songs you could not tell the difference and to tell the truth no one cared. The band was awesome, great lead singer and the Hooters girls made sure to get the troops involved by dancing, playing games etc. Overall a great show in which over 500 troops attended.
The next morning (Sunday) the band and girls were off to Kuwait and it was time for me to prepare for the next tour that was supposed to arrive on Tuesday. That gave me two days to prepare and with is being a 3 person comedy tour. It was fairly easy to prepare.
Unfortunately more bad weather was lurking and the comedians were unable to arrive until Wednesday. This messed up everything. Long story short, when you miss one flight let’s just say you end up missing them all. Our itinerary was so tight we had an outing flight on Tuesday, they day they were supposed to arrive, when they didn’t arrive, I was forced to cancel 3 shows at 3 other installations. All because we missed our flights that were due to inclement weather or “Red Air” as they call it in the military. When the pilots can’t see, they can’t fly. Perfectly understandable…The comedians were bummed as well as myself. I really wanted to get them out to these 3 installations that were in desperate need of a morale boost! Oh well, we made the best of it and that was the first time since I have been here that I had to cancel a show.
The comedians in attendance were Justin Thompson, Jeremy Greenberg and Lavandor Butler. Not sure if anyone knows who they are, I was not away to who they were before I did some research. Regardless they were hilarious and great to work with. To keep the them busy with all the extra time we had due to the cancelled shows, we were able to schedule some meet and greets and some extra rest time which they were grateful for. When show time came around the troops represented well and there were around 350 in attendance. The comedians were actually hilarious and ripped on some of the Soldiers we are meals with frequently. Those Soldiers are actually hilarious and all they do is talk smack to each other non-stop about anything and everything. There is a picture of me with them below.
The next morning the comedians were off to Kuwait as they were headed back to the states. I spend a lot of time up in Delta with those two tours and I bonded with the troops there quite a bit, by the end they were calling me JT and Tom as they think I look like Justin Timberlake and Tom Brady. I don’t know about all that, but I will take it as a compliment since I was the only white guy in the group.
Finally I flew back to Basrah that night after the comedians left and I was back at home or so what I call home here in Iraq. I honestly was homesick from Basrah. With that said, I have been informed that I will be moving to the north in January sometime. I will be filling in for another Entertainment Coordinator that is going on R&R. I will be there for about a month. I look forward to challenge and meeting more troops. The more installations and troops I can take entertainment to while I am here the better. I actually look forward to taking some entertainment to Mosul, since one of my really good friends Pat just got stationed there.
Anything that anyone sends me after in mid to late January…I will not get them until late February. Just a heads up…not that I am expecting anything.
Fort Belvoir back in the states and some of my co-workers there have been generous to send myself and Romel huge care packages with so many good things! I cannot thank you all enough. I always have to thank you for boosting my own morale when “Santa” called me from Fort Belvoir. Quite hilarious and the fact that you recorded that conversation and sent it to me is priceless. If anyone would like to hear it, let me know and I will email it to you.
That’s all I got. I am planning a few upcoming tours, some of which will consist of Joan Jett and Kellie Pickler, Chuck Milligan the hypnotist is coming back, the Cincinnati Bengals Cheerleaders and Craig Morgan in February. The tours just keep getting better and better, before I know it I will be in Vegas in which I just purchased my ticket for. I will be flying out of Detroit so I plan to be home in Michigan before and after my Vegas trip.

My little public service announcement…
On Monday, between the two shows I was able to attend the memorial service for the fallen Soldier. It was very moving and really put everything in to perspective for me. You just never know what is going to happen next and that tomorrow is never guaranteed. Being over here has really changed my view on a lot of things and the way I live my life will forever be changed. I sometimes see some things on the news and statuses on Facebook of people’s issues and complaints and I just can’t help to think they really have no idea. I don’t hold anything against anyone really, I can’t, everyone has their own perception of things and unless they were to experience life in Iraq from a Soldiers and local view, they wouldn’t know. Maybe it’s for the better, I don’t know. Everyone should just be thankful for what they do have and to never forget that regardless if you support the war or not, at least appreciate and support what the troops are doing for our own country and own freedoms.
Happy Holidays…
Merry Christmas…
And a Happy New Year!

The Jill's and myself



Jill's on the Iraqi/Kuwait border



Ahhh..the Iraqi Navy tried to spell in English...nice shot..maybe next time

Jill's visiting the Iraqi Navy ship

Hooter's girls doing a re-enlistment ceremony

The Hooter's girls had to be Ohio State fans...

Hooter's girls backstage about to hand out some swag to the crowd

Self explanatory...

Broke Down Cadillac band

The crew that had me cracking up for the past week and a half

Comedians from left to right. Justin Thompson, Lavandor Butler and Jeremy Greenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment